Makes 6 tacos
These tacos may be made with fresh or frozen tofu. Freezing tofu gives it a chewy texture somewhat like ground beef. To freeze tofu, place it in its package in the freezer. To thaw, place the package in the refrigerator. Once thawed, remove the tofu from its package and squeeze out the excess water.
- ¼ cup water
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ small bell pepper, seeded and diced (optional)
- ½ pound firm tofu, crumbled (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1–2 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 green onions, chopped
- ½ cup chopped tomato
- 1/3 cup salsa
- ½ avocado, sliced (optional)
- Heat water in a non-stick skillet.
- Add onion and bell pepper, if using, and cook over high heat, stirring often, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add tofu, chili powder, nutritional yeast (if using), garlic powder, cumin, oregano, and soy sauce.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add tomato sauce and cook over low heat until mixture is fairly dry, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Heat a tortilla in a heavy dry skillet, turning it from side to side until soft and pliable.
- Place a small amount of tofu mixture in the centre, then fold tortilla in half and remove from heat.
- Garnish with lettuce, green onions, tomato, salsa, and avocado, if using.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas.
(Recipe reproduced with kind permission of PCRM)
(next: Luscious Mango Dressing)