7 oz (200g) vegan margarine
2 tbsp black treacle
3 1/2 oz (100g) breadcrumbs
3 1/2 oz (100g) wholemeal flour
3 tbsp baking powder
3 1/2 oz (100g) dried apricots, chopped
3 1/2 oz (100g) prunes, chopped
10 1/2 oz (300g) mixture of currants, sultanas & raisins
3 1/2 oz (100g) soft brown sugar
1 cooking apple, grated finely
1 medium carrot, grated finely
3 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
Juice and grated rind of 1 lemon
3 tbsp sherry
1. Cream the margarine and treacle together.
2. Add all the other ingredients and mix well to a soft dropping consistency.
3. Grease a basin well and fill with the mixture leaving about 2 1/2 cm free from the top to allow for rising. Cover with greaseproof paper and aluminium foil and secure with string.
4. Place in a saucepan and pour in boiling water halfway up the sides of the basin. Simmer gently for 5 hours, topping up the water as necessary.
5. Once cooked the pudding can be kept cold until needed. Steam for a further 2 hours before serving.
To serve: Vegan cream, ice cream or custard from your local health food store or supermarket.
Recipe courtesy of Eden Farmed Animal Sanctuary