When the temperatures drop and the leaves on the trees turn orange and red then you know it’s officially pumpkin / squash season! So here’s a very simple but extremely delicious recipe for colder days:
Pumpkin or butternut squash
Coconut oil or olive oil
Red bell pepper
Cilantro or other herbs
- Cut the pumpkin in half, remove the seeds from the halves and chop the pumpkin.
- Set a steamer basket into a large pot. Fill the pot with water until the water just touches the bottom of the basket.
- Place the cut pumpkin in the steamer basket and set the lid on the pot.
- Bring the water to boil, reduce the heat to simmer .(Depending on the pumpkin and the size of the chunks) let it steam for about 20-40 min.
The pumpkin will be soft when cooked, which you can easily check by sticking a fork into a pumpkin cube.
- Serve with chopped sweet red bell pepper, chilli, cilantro or other herbs. Adding some raw coldpressed coconut oil will give a nice flavor but you can of course use olive oil as well.
(Recipe and photo by Cassy Martensen)